Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Grizzly: 18 FEET OF TOWERING FURY!!

I haven't covered any eco-horror grindhouse films yet so today and tomorrow I'll feature some examples of this sub-genre.  One will be an example of a good eco-horror and one will be bad.  Let's start with the bad....

Grizzly was one of my dad's favorite movies.  I think it's because he believed that it's possible for a giant prehistoric grizzly to exist somewhere in the wilds of America.  He was also convinced that the Loch Ness Monster is real and that Sasquatch frolic in the moonlight amongst the elderberry trees.  He introduced me to this film when I was a kid.

Grizzly has a very basic plot.  A massive grizzly from a line of giant bears from the pleistocene era somehow survived to modern times and developed a taste for human flesh.  He feasts on campers and local residents of a National Park until he is killed by a team of Park Rangers.  It's another one of those films that scared the hell out of me when I was little because of the blood and torn limbs, but now I just find it boring.  It's not a terrible film. It's just kind of dull and there aren't even any boobies to make it interesting.  It does, however, show a little flaxen-haired boy get his leg ripped off...  So there's that.  Tomorrow I'll showcase an eco-horror film that I think is quite good.  Many will disagree.

An interesting bit of trivia about this movie is that a sequel called Grizzly II: The Predator was shot in 1983 but never released.  It featured Laura Dern, George Clooney and Mr. Charlie Sheen.

Here is the trailer for Grizzly.  It's in German which somehow makes it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...