Monday, March 7, 2011

Two Hundred Maniacs!

Somehow I managed to dupe 200 of you into following my blog.  Thanks guys for all your support!  I really do appreciate it.  I'm glad to see some people still enjoy the grindhouse era of cinema.

...But not everybody.  I recently came across a quote over at slashfilm.com from Lost's Naveen Andrews.  Apparently he was unfamiliar with the grindhouse genre so Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez wanted to give him a crash course in the subject before he was to play Abby in Planet Terror.  They sat him down for a grindhouse movie marathon and this is what he had to say about the films:
“They were interminable and they were terrible. I thought they were horrible films, dismal. And the actors seemed to be suffering in them and you just felt sorry for everyone. And I’d look around and I’d see Quentin and Robert laughing like maniacs. I found it funny for about two minutes. I was embarrassed, I was like – what am I not getting here? They obviously see some kind of esthetic here but I can’t see it. I’m still at a loss of what the esthetic actually is. I think it has something to do with an obscene type of humor. “
This seems to be a common reaction and it puts a smile on my face.  So what do you guys really think of grindhouse movies?  Are they dismal, horrible films or underappreciated classics?  What's your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...