Friday, March 11, 2011

The Omega Man: Pray for the Last Man Alive. Because He's Not Alone.

Lately I've been featuring some rather obscure grindhouse movies, so today I'd like to cover one of the more popular ones.  The Omega Man is very loosely based on one of my favorite novels, "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson, and stars the always entertaining Charlton Heston.  I'm sure many have seen the I am Legend remake from 2007 with Will Smith.  I found that version... disappointing.  Sure, The Omega Man isn't the greatest science fiction movie ever made either, but it doesn't take itself too seriously and it's a lot more fun to watch than the Will Smith travesty in my opinion.

Biological weapons are used in a war between China and the Soviet Union which eradicates the entire world's population leaving only an American Army colonel, Dr. Robert Neville (Charlton Heston) and a new race of pasty, nocturnal mutants.  Neville spends his days hunting down and killing these mutants and trying maintain his tentative grasp on sanity.  He spends his nights fighting off these albino monsters as they besiege his fortified apartment in an attempt to capture him to stand trial for his crimes against their community they call "The Family."  Eventually they succeed.

I don't want to give away too much in case you haven't seen the film, because it is worth watching.  Here's the trailer for The Omega Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...